Mobile Phone Photography

Photo Captured with Samsung Galaxy S5 and edited on phone with Instagram by Chris Gardiner Photography www.cgardiner.ca
Sunset Landscape Photo Captured with Samsung Galaxy S5
I visit some photography forums on the internet periodically, and there has always been those voicing concern over 'camera phones' and their 'death to the photography industry'.  I have always looked at them the same way the rest of society looks at the people shouting apocalypse in real life… They're crazy folk… and then I upgraded to a new phone..
My service provider let me know I could get $200 off a phone if I acted that week - so I did. Great marketing.. anyways.. Having had the iPhone 4 for a few years I was definitely ready for an upgrade.

I went to the local kiosk at the mall and asked quickly found out between the iPhone 5S and Galaxy S5 that the Galaxy was a clear choice.  I've never been a megapixel-buyer where I just see more as better, but in this case, Samsung is twice as better. lol.  If you know your way around pixels, you also know that if you downsize your 16 megapixel images down to 8 megapixel images, you can beat the 8 megapixel native camera probably every time.  So that was most of my logic, 16MP camera in the samsung vs an 8MP in the iPhone, according to the kiosk lady. I took her word for it. 

Also, the external storage onto microSD cards take the cake. Where getting a 64GB iPhone would cost me a few hundred extra, I can get a great microSD card suitable for high quality 4K recording for about $10 for 32GB. Thats insane. 

Also, being able to access the microSD also gives you access to the battery, which means when the battery does eventually slow down and charge less, I can replace it. Instead of being burdened by the iPhone that dies every 8 hours as was the case at the end of it's life for my iPhone 4. 

Not only does it take great stills, but you can shoot 4K UHD footage which is super cool, considering my first 4K capable camera cost me $50. (If you don't count my GoPro 3 with 4K @15fps which I paid $500 for a few years ago. lol) 

There will always be things that mobile phones cannot do, that more dedicated cameras can. And thats fine, every tool serves its own specific purpose. I will still continue to use my Canon DSLRs mainly, but it is comforting to know that as often as I have my phone on me, I will have a camera that is up to the task of capturing a variety of lighting situations. 

So anyways, before I start to sound like I am bashing a whole bunch of stuff about Apple and jumping on Samsung bandwagon, here are some photos I took in the last few days with it. 

Photo Captured with Samsung Galaxy S5 and edited on phone with Instagram by Chris Gardiner Photography www.cgardiner.ca
Tiny sensors are awesome for Macro
Photo Captured with Samsung Galaxy S5 and edited on phone with Instagram by Chris Gardiner Photography www.cgardiner.ca
Low Light Performance
Photo Captured with Samsung Galaxy S5 and edited on phone with Instagram by Chris Gardiner Photography www.cgardiner.ca
Thats a pretty good dynamic range for late afternoon if you ask me.

thanks for reading my blog, come back soon